There are many military programs to help warriors transition from the battlefront to the homefront, but the families are often left to deal with challenges on their own. Through the NWNHC Warrior Family Retreats, families of soldiers who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan can get away to the country for a weekend retreat and family healing time.
The program helps families address the transition challenges experienced by a soldier returning from a long separation and the realities of war. Husbands and wives work with certified equine-assisted therapists to learn new life skills and reconnect as loving partners. Children get the opportunity to share their deployment experiences with art therapists and enjoy stress-free, fun time with their parents. Everyone gets to learn how to handle and ride horses, and just have fun!
Sample activities include:
- Equine-assisted team building
- Child and family art projects
- Secrets of a horse whisperer
- Learning to ride horses
- Family wagon rides
- Horse games
- “Daddy/Mommy and Me” time
- FREE to military families
- Hotel and meals included
- All ages (Infant /child care available by request)
click here for sample agenda (pdf)
Read about the experiences of military families:
- Warrior Transition Battalion (WTB), Joint Base Lewis McChord
- Soldier Family Activity Center (SFAC), Joint Base Lewis McChord
- Military & Family Life Consultant Program (MFLC), Joint Base Lewis McChord
- Family Assistance for Maintaining Excellence (FAME), Madigan Army Medical Center
- American Legion, Snoqualmie Post 79 (Legion, Auxiliary & Riders)
- Veterans of Foreign Wars, Mt. Si Post 9476
All family lodging and meal expenses are paid for through generous contributions to the NWNHC Family Fund.
Share your blessings with a contribution to:
NWNHC Family Fund
PO Box 736
Preston, WA 98050
425 222 3623
NWNHC Family Fund is a registered 501(c)(3) corporation with the Internal Revenue Service. Your contributions may be tax deductible. EIN 45-4536229
Contact us for more information or to volunteer your time or services.